Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Rising Fuel costs

My electricity bill arrived this week. Like thousands of others I have looked around to fix my prices, but have discovered a neat little "change" made by the electricity companies. My standard tariff has 225 KW at a higher price, any electricity usage over that is charged at the lower rate. On all the options offered by switching all the tariffs I looked at had increased their "standard" charge to the first 900 kw of energy at a higher rate. Even with discounts for direct debits etc this would automatically lead to a huge increase in my bills, so I am staying put. Electricity does not heat my home, that is done by oil, and again prices are double what they were this time last year. So, the wood is stacked and the chimneys swept, I am not looking forward to this winter.